Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward


What did I just read? With the hot guy on the cover and the great reviews I thought this book was going to be good. I was so wrong. I really should learn not to judge a book by the cover. It's what drew me to the book in the first place. I didn't like this book at all. It was the first book by Penelope Ward that I have ever read and it will be the last. The book in divided into 2 parts. The first part is when Elec and Greta are 17 and first meet. The second part takes place 7 years later and they're forced together after a tragedy.

I can't really pin point what I didn't like about the book because frankly I thought the whole thing sucked. It felt the author was a first time writer and didn't know how to write a book. There was many times when the author wrote "I didn't know my life was about to change" or "I thought things were bad until" and stuff along those lines instead of just telling me what going on and letting me read it. There was no character development, no plot development and the writing was juvenile especially the first part. It was a dud to me.

Elec was immature and at the end of the book he did seem like he grew up some. Greta which is a horrible name for a child was whiny and cried too much. Elec treated her like crap and she kept going back to him and tried to be his friend. I don't see how these two fell in love when they didn't talk or hang out much. Greta didn't seem like she would have boys knocking down her door and you didn't really hear her say anything about boy until all of a sudden there is boys that want her. It seemed odd to me. The author threw in things at the last minute to make the story go on.

In part 2 of the book, Greta kept telling people she had an administrative job instead of just staying she was an literary agent. I don't know why she just didn't tell anyone when they asked. Elec having issues with his dad and them not coming out until part 2 bothered me too. Instead of making me guess and wonder what the hell happen, just tell me. It wasn't even that big of a deal. Part 2 is also the exact same shit that happen in part 1 except it's in Elec's POV.

I don't see how this book got some many great reviews. It sucked but I guess some people don't know what a good book is these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment