Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Song Of The Fireflies by J.A. Redmerski

Teasers: 
“Fuck no,” he said and laughed. “And that car in the parking lot wasn’t mine, either.” He barely looked away from me long enough to say to Bray, “You too. Whatever you have put it on the dashboard.”
I thought about using that split second he looked away from me to grab for the gun, but I couldn’t risk it. It likely would’ve gone off and killed her right there next to me.
There was no saliva left in my mouth. My whole body was stiff and sweating. Aside from getting that gun away from Bray’s head, all I could think about was beating the fuck out of this guy. All I could see was red. I wanted so badly for him to slip up and give me the opportunity to take him down and cave his face in with my fists.
“Now get out,” he demanded, looking right at me.
My heart dropped into my feet then. Was he going to take off in the car with her in it?
“Take the fucking car,” I said, raising my hands up in front of me. “Just let her out.” 
“Get. The. Fuck. Out.” He moved the gun to the back of my head now.
I only felt slightly better about that. At least it wasn’t on Bray anymore.
I placed my hand on the door handle carefully, popped it open and stepped out, keeping my hands raised up, my fingers level with the top of my head.
From my peripheral vision, I noticed another set of bright headlights coming toward us off in the distance. My eyes darted to and from it, then to Bray, still sitting in the front seat. Cars sped by on the other side of the freeway, but it was too dark for anyone in them to see what was going on.



He still had me, after all.
By Friday night, we were debating whether to go to the river or not, because Mitchell would almost definitely be there.
“I say we go, Elias. Don’t let him ruin our good time.”
Elias kissed me on the forehead and squeezed me around the waist as I sat straddled on his lap.
“OK. We’ll go. Just stay away from him, all right?”
I draped my arms around his neck and then kissed his lips. “I’ll be too busy with you to worry about him,” I said suggestively.
Elias smiled and squeezed my butt in his hands. “How did we get like this?” he asked, studying my face and my lips.
“It was inevitable,” I said in a quiet voice. My fingers touched the contours of his cheekbones and probed him as if he were a beautiful¸ delicate statue. He hadn’t shaved in a while, but I found the growing stubble sexy on him.
“Do you remember our first kiss?” he asked, smiling at me.
“Of course I do,” I said. “The first night we met.”
He shook his head and his hands slid up my back.
“No, I mean the first real kiss.”
I swallowed hard. On the inside I was screaming as another memory infected my thoughts in that moment, but on the outside, I looked as blissful as he did.
“Yes. I remember,” I said distantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment