Monday, July 28, 2014

Promised (One Night #1) by Jodi Ellen Malpas


I absolutely love Jodi Ellen Malpas and This Man Series. I love her writing style, the story she comes up with and the characters. I had real high hopes for the One Night series. Jodi Ellen Malpas wrote an amazing series with This Man and I fell head over heels in love with Jesse. I was wondering if she was gonna top the This Man series or if she would be able to write another series just as great as This Man. I can honestly say I don't know.

Promised is very different than This Man. I can't say I love it but I can't say I hate it. It's different. I keep thinking I need the next book in the series to give an honesty opinion on the book. It feel like nothing big really happen in the book. There was great character development with back stories and everything. But I didn't get a feel for the characters as a couple.

Miller is difficult and different. He's mysterious and closed off. He has secrets that I couldn't figure out. He is hard to read. He is however, sexy, super sexy, well dressed, well mannered sometimes, and likes the finer things in life. He is a clean freak and has OCD that fits him in a way.

Livy is young and sheltered so to speak. She doesn't go out or live her life because of her past. She is afraid of becoming her mother and I think every woman is afraid of becoming her mother. I didn't really care too much about her past. Her mother being a hooker seemed like a way to get the reader to love her and it instead annoyed me.

Livy's grandmother and friends annoyed me. Her grandma was trying to set her up and find her a man. I felt like if Livy wanted a man, she would have had one. She didn't need her nosy grandma in her life. Her friends wanted her to have a life and a guy but then when she found Miller, they didn't approve of him. I didn't like her friends at all. Someone like Livy should have different, better friends. Her best friend Gregory reminded me a lot of Tom in This Man series. I thought Tom was super annoying and jealous of Ava and I felt Gregory was the same with Livy.

I did love Miller's little issues. I loved how he was a clean freak. I'm a clean freak and I related to him on that level. Although, I didn't understand why he was a clean freak. People just don't wake up one day and decided to be clean freaks. A little back story on that would have been nice and was needed. I love his thing. He doesn't do romance or cuddles but he loved cuddling with Livy and having himself wrapped around her. It was cute. His OCD with placement of things was weird but made Miller sort of hot and seem out of reach.

I have to read the next book in the series to see where the characters and story goes. Promised ended in a weird cliffhanger and I'm interested in where things are headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment